STRENGTH | POWER | SPEED | MOBILITY
WHY - Cornerstone S&C was built to develop your athletic potential so that your performance is not limited by your strength, speed, power or injury.
WHAT - The Real You Newcastle (Cornerstone S&C) athlete mentorship is a comprehensive holistic program developed by an ASCA accredited coach for long-term total athlete development for 13-17yr olds. We use elite strength & conditioning methods to reduce the risk of injury; improve your strength; become more explosive; drop fat; add lean muscle mass; enhance your ability to move fluently and educate you on how to take all this knowledge and implement it to get you the best possible result. All of which is delivered in the purpose-built facility.
All our staff here have been athletes, so we are passionate about providing you with the knowledge and support we feel we missed out on and that you require to reach the highest level possible. We support athletes through the different stages of their career, preparing them for their future and hopefully helping them turn their sporting dreams into reality.
Places are limited! It's time to get ahead of the rest!
About the program
Our programs focus on Long Term Development and are competency based. Everyone develops at different rates; therefore, we are very careful to ensure that athletes only progress to the next level once they are considered competent in everything from the previous levels. The program includes:
- Comprehensive initial screening and assessment
- Access to up to 5 sessions per week to fit in with your busy schedule + use of Open gym time
- Individualised programming and coaching
- Nutrition guidance and support
- Periodised to ensure we manage your sports training load with gym activities
What we do and why?
We always begin with a comprehensive testing and screening process to develop a picture of where the athlete is at. This helps identify weaknesses, imbalances and lack of strength/body control and gives us a measure from which to compare progressive testing. From here, we run the program around improving:
- Mobility – introducing the athlete to proper warm up & stretching protocols/exercises and improving their flexibility and strength.
- Activation – how to effectively activate certain muscles to create an understanding and body awareness around muscles & structures
- Coordination – foot/hand juggling, kicking, catching, throwing, jumping etc.
- Balance & Body awareness – to build an understanding of where their body is in space and how to move it in response to different positions and situations. This also builds confidence and strength to pursue their physical potential.
- Movement patterns – how to squat, hinge, push, pull, jump, rotate, stabilise and hold. Most young athletes lack at least one part of most movement patterns (mobility, strength, coordination, activation) becoming a master of your body and building movement efficiency is key.
- Strength & Power – absolute strength and lifting weights is only a small part for rookies (see below), but then builds based on competence as without strong foundations, we are not building a quality athlete and person. Our focus is on long term athletic development, so the strength work only comes after they have ticked all the boxes of the above aspects.
- Conditioning – We feel there is a place for off-field conditioning, but our focus is generally around low impact / ‘off-feet’ conditioning. As with strength, we see more benefit in helping athletes move better & more efficiently than putting them through a lot of hard conditioning unless specifically required.
- Nutrition – each athlete receives a nutrition guidance for health and performance. They are challenged to implement changes to their current diet. Knowledge is power, but action = results. Depending on the requirements, more specific nutrition guidance can be provided.
- Wellness – we have a strong focus around wellness which includes sleep, regeneration, mindset, detoxification and habits.
- Our programs run continuously and are carefully periodised to manage the different stages of the season. The levels each athlete will progress through are as follows.
The initial program is about introducing the athlete to movement, skills, knowledge and experiences which they are not familiar. The program really revolves around body awareness, body control, identifying weakness/potential injury risks, and general movements which improve performance. These are the key foundations from which a complete athlete can be built. These are often difficult to measure, but easily seen (awkwardness, running gate, coordination etc). This phase may last anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months.
Our high-performance program is all about supercharging athletes. We fill the gaps in your armour and build on your strengths using a fully individualised program. We look at every aspect of your performance and lifestyle to ensure no stone is left unturned for you to perform at your peak. Like all our programs, this one demands a high standard. You want to be elite, so these characteristics must be employed to every aspect of your training and your life.
Once they can complete all movements and have shown the body awareness, body control, skill and understanding of themselves, they are able to start increasing one or all elements such as loads, complexity of movement, volume, or intensity. This is where we really start building the base to create strong, mobile and powerful movers. This is where body shapes can start changing and confidence growing. This phase can last anywhere from 3 months to 2 years depending on their frequency and progress.
We have a program tailored to suit your individual needs and goals. We require an initial meeting as well as three 1-ON-1 sessions to assess your strengths, weaknesses, deficiencies, movement capability and nutrition to ensure we deliver a program specifically designed for you.
A 1-ON-1 every 6 weeks is scheduled to update the program.
At this level, the athlete will be able to move extremely well both under load and without it. The load, complexity of movement, volume and intensity will increase again from the previous level and be more specific to the individual and sport. The foundations and base should now be set, and we are building pyramid higher toward being an advanced mover. This athlete would be considered well developed and competing well against adults.
Clubs & Teams
If you are a sporting team looking to improve your mobility, movement, speed and power, then we have the ability to deliver a high level program specifically for your large group at suitable times.
We can optimise your teams training and recovery throughout the year, provide sessions to vary up your teams training or during wet weather, or customise a complete off-season/pre-season program for your athletes.
Suitable to any sport and all levels this program is a must to improve your performances on the sporting field.
What they say about Cornerstone
In case you're not convinced!
I improved my balance and muscular endurance the most. I was very satisfied with the program. I feel stronger, sharper and more flexible than I ever have going into a season
Although I don't think much about how good I feel now, as it's become the norm, the improvements are actually ridiculous. The way I eat, the way I prepare and plan meals and what not, there's no way in a million years I would've even considered it last year! I deadset loved the program! The commitment comes easy when what you're doing is enjoyable, and stimulating. So credit to you! Thanks again Holty. As I said, I'm feeling good and I'm enjoying it which is the biggest thing for me.
Body is in good shape feeling really good coming up to the season next week . Haven't felt this fit in a while